The Resource Runaway : stories
- Runaway : stories
- Title remainder
- Statement of responsibility
- Alice Munro
- Title variation
- Alice Munro's central characters range from 14-year-old Lauren in "Trespass," through the young couple in "Runaway," whose helpful older neighbour intervenes to help the wife escape, all the way to a 70-year-old woman meeting a friend of her youth on a Vancouver street and sitting with him to recall their tangled lives fifty years earlier, through a web of cheerful lies. Three of the stories, "Chance," "Soon," and "Silence," are linked, showing us how the young teacher Juliet meets her fisherman lover on a train (and, by terrible chance, visits his B.C. home on the day after his wife's funeral); how, years later, she brings baby Penelope back east to show her parents and learns sad secrets about their marriage; and how, twenty years on, she visits the estranged Penelope in her cult-like B.C. community. The result is more powerful than most novels, a quality in Alice Munro's stories that has been noted by many reviewers. The final story, "Powers," spans 50 years and runs from Goderich to Vancouver and involves a cast of four characters, each of whom steps forward to dominate the scene, not least Tessa, the plain girl whose psychic powers take her on the vaudeville circuit
- ALA Notable Book, 2005.
- Booklist Editors' Choice, 2004.
- Commonwealth Writers' Prize, Caribbean and Canada: Best Book, 2005.
- Giller Prize, 2004.
- New York Times Notable Book, 2004
- Rogers Writers' Trust Fiction Prize, 2004.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- R86 2007eb
- Literary form
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
ContextContext of Runaway : stories
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Runaway : stories
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.delawarelibrary.org/resource/JA0kE-VYEhg/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.delawarelibrary.org/resource/JA0kE-VYEhg/">Runaway : stories</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.delawarelibrary.org/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.delawarelibrary.org/">Delaware County District Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>