The Resource A Complicated Kindness
- A Complicated Kindness
- Statement of responsibility
- Miriam Toews
- trueLife change events in teenagers
- trueMother-separated teenage girls
- trueFathers and daughters
- trueFamily problems
- trueTeenage boy/girl relations
- trueCanadian fiction
- trueAdult books for young adults
- trueComing-of-age stories
- truePsychological fiction
- trueSmall town life -- Canada
- "A darkly funny and provocative novel" of family, faith, and adolescent angst from the award-winning author of All My Puny Sorrows ( O, The Oprah Magazine ). "Half of our family, the better-looking half, is missing," Nomi Nickel explains at the beginning of A Complicated Kindness . Left alone with her sad, peculiar father, her days are spent piecing together why her mother and sister disappeared, dreaming of escape, and contemplating her inevitable career at Happy Family Farms, a chicken slaughterhouse on the outskirts of East Village. This is not the East Village in New York City, where Nomi would prefer to live, but an oppressive town founded by Mennonites on the cold, flat plains of Manitoba, Canada. A wry yet bewildered sixteen-year-old, Nomi is trapped in a town governed by fundamentalist religion. In her droll voice, she tells the story of her eccentric, loving family whose members each find themselves on a collision course with the only community they've ever known. Winner of the Governor General's Literary Award and drawing comparison to J.D. Salinger's Catcher in the Rye ," A Complicated Kindness just may be a future classic in its own right" ( Philadelphia Inquirer )
- Canadian Library Association Young Adult Book Award, 2005.
- CBA Libris Award for Fiction Book of the Year, 2005.
- Governor General's Literary Award for English-Language Fiction, 2004.
- Manitoba Writing and Publishing Awards, Margaret Laurence Award for Fiction, 2004.
- Manitoba Writing and Publishing Awards, McNally Robinson Book of the Year Award, 2004.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- Literary form
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
ContextContext of A Complicated Kindness
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work A Complicated Kindness
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.delawarelibrary.org/resource/GH7YntFt1Ks/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.delawarelibrary.org/resource/GH7YntFt1Ks/">A Complicated Kindness</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.delawarelibrary.org/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.delawarelibrary.org/">Delaware County District Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>